Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Flip This Pattern : Oliver + S roller skate dress and tunic

Flip This Pattern

I love Flip this Pattern.  The creativity that I see is so inspiring.  It's great to see how people can make a pattern truly their own by changing small details or adding embellishments.  Frances Suzanne's blog is always amazing.  The way she adds such a personal touch to everything never ceases to amaze me.

When I saw the roller skate dress from Oliver + S, I saw a great deal of potential.  It's practically a blank slate.  I changed the neckline to add a tie and I thought about dropping the elastic down to make it gather at the hip, but I don't find that the most flattering shape and the fabric doesn't have enough drape.    It's a cute little tunic that I think will work well for late summer and early fall.

ETA*  The neck ties were lengthened at least 8 inches.  I'd have to go dig through my bin to find the pattern piece I drafted.  I also snipped the front center and then folded the edges under to make a V notch in the front so that it would be finished and have a bit of slack for tying the ties.



blue and grey

This tunic is actually the size 6-12 month dress.  It fits great now, but I'm not sure how well it will fit in a few months.  Maybe I should have gone with the 12-18?

I also made the knickers.  I'll post about those another time.

I'm not sure if I like the neck tied like a tie or tied in a bow.  I guess we can wear it both way.

blue and greyblue and grey


Perfect for cooler fall days and reading a book.


blue and grey

16 comments:

  1. I love the neck tie "flip" I might have to try that one myself! Beautiful photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) I lengthened the neck ties by a good 10 inches or so, if that helps. There was some trial an error in the muslin to make them long enough. I think I started with 8 inches and ended at 10. At any rate, that should give you a jumping off point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful ensemble, and I love the flipped blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely. Very sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Love the tunic version....and I agree with Suzie - sophisticated, indeed. And, such amazing photographs!! Your little girl is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness I love these! Wishing I had a little girl to sew them for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great flip and such a great look! Love the colors! Beautiful indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! look like something from designer brand. The fabrics combination is classy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the neck ties--so classy and feminine. What a clever flip!
    Ledys
    www.fromthesunnyside.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I come again to say congratulations for being one of the fantastic five of July. Your works are really fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! I was very surprised to get a mention, but excited too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your flip. It really is classy.congrats on being one of the fantastic five.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! As always, the photography is stunning, and the tie definitely adds sophistication to the top. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! And I love the knickers! What type of fabric did you use? It's such a pretty gray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The knickers are made of lightweight grey twill from Joanne's.

      Delete
  15. SOOOO super cute! I love the top and the fabric and the photos and just everything :o) Happy kids sewing week!! I made my first pair of jeans as my final post, pretty happy with how they turned out :o) Emily@nap-timecreations

    ReplyDelete