Friday, April 27, 2012

More dress attempts

I found the most beautiful snow white fabric on Etsy and new it was destined to be a dress for Little Miss. I bought 1/2 yard of it and it sat on a shelf for months waiting for inspiration. While I was looking at one of my favorite blogs, MADE, I remembered a tutorial for puffed sleeves and inspiration hit. I collected my materials and got started.

I grabbed a dress that fit Miss and sketched out the yoke. My plan was to just gather a dress piece and sew it onto the bottom, but that didn't' work out as well as I'd hoped. My fabric was silkscreened and I kept breaking my thread while trying to gather. My guess is that the silk screening makes the fabric too thick for ruffles. Very irritating. I finally gave up and used box pleats. Not what I originally had in mind, but it's cute anyway.  For the life of me, I couldn't get the sleeves to work.  Apparently, my bodice piece was too short.  Anyway, before I was able to work it out, she actually outgrew the whole thing, so it's in the scrap pile waiting for a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment